Thursday, July 9, 2015

Jewelry Cabinet Facelift

 Hey Friends! 
I have another project to share today.
A jewelry cabinet makeover.
Sister has moved up to big girl jewelry, and is sporting dangly earrings on a daily basis. 
She looks so grown up with them in...sniff..
She had her ears pierced when she was 4, and has never had any issues until about a month ago when one of her ears became infected. 
We switched to dangly earrings, and thankfully haven't had any issues since. 
 She needed a new jewelry storage solution, so I went digging around in my stash in the attic, and found this cabinet. It was a yard sale find. 
I think I paid around $5 for it a few years ago. I kept thinking I just needed to get rid of it, but I'm so glad I didn't ;-)
The previous owners used some serious paint stripper on this cabinet, so all I had to do was use 220 grit sand paper on my orbital sander to smooth out the finish.




 Sister picked out the colors. Turquoise was the first color she wanted. The cabinet took 2 coats.
 Remember the old drawer I turned into a jewelry organizer? Well, I used the same type of metal from Hobby Lobby. This sheet was $11.99 (a little steep, but I used a 40% off coupon. It made the price not sting as bad). I laid the sheet on the back side of the cabinet door and marked off where I needed to cut.



 I used metal snippers to cut little sections at a time, being careful not to cut my fingers on the metal. It's extremely sharp.
 Once I was finished snipping, I tapped the edges down with a hammer.
After the metal was smooth, I painted it purple, Sister's second choice.
(Sometimes you have to get creative when spray painting two sided objects.)
 Once things had dried enough to handle, I attached the metal screen to the cabinet door(because I didn't have the patience to wait until it was completely dry), and then drilled a bigger hole in the door front so I could attach this adorable button knob from Hobby Lobby.
 I also added 2 picture frame hangers to the back of the cabinet, and hung it. I felt comfortable with using those because this cabinet is made out of very lite, thin wood.
 Here's a shot of the inside of the cabinet. It looks a little beat up, but the door will stay closed the majority of the time, so I am ok with it.
 
 And a quick before and after shot.

Now, Sister has a nice little spot to showcase her earrings, and it will be so much easier keeping up with them.

 And just for fun, a reality shot... so you know that I don't keep a perfect house. I just move things out of view ;-)
Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!

0 comments: