Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Old Sewing Machine Table turned Outdoor Planter


Hey Y'all! I am back after a two'ish week break. I needed to focus on healing.
I developed shingles, and let me tell you...that's stuff is NO JOKE!
Thankfully, it's passed, and I have learned so much about myself and how I handle stress (actually how I don't handle it.)
I am taking baby steps, and learning to say no, and learning to just breathe.
It's SOOO hard y'all!

Anytime I am on the mend from an illness, I always have the urge to get up and do something. I don't do well sitting still, but sometimes life knocks you down and you have to listen to your body.
I had plenty of time to dream up different projects with all of that sitting I was doing with those nasty shingles.
So as soon as I was feeling up to it, I was out in the garage tearin' things up.
I had an old empty sewing machine table sitting in my attic that was given to me by one of my mother's friends. I knew I could do something with it, but I just didn't know what.
So it sat in the attic for more than a year.
Hubby kept trying to make me get rid of it because it was taking up space, but I refused. 
I am so glad I didn't throw it out.
I finally came up with a fun way to repurpose the table.
I turned it into an outdoor planter.
This was its original state.
Sans sewing machine.
I used the wood from the stand my porch swing used to hang from, and created a box to slide inside the table. Building the box took 40 forevers!
I went with my tried and true Krylon red. This was the first time for me to use this all-in-one paint and I LOVE it. It was super easy to use!
I made sure to drill a few holes in the bottom of the planter for drainage.
I also roughed up the top with my orbital sander, just to knock off the sheen.
Two coats of spray paint, and she was ready for assembly.
I used the plastic that Lowe's gives you for your car to protect the floor mats as my liner for the planter. Dual purpose, and it was free!
I had some leftover dirt from some previous plantings, and it was just enough. Lucky me!
I also poked holes through the plastic for drainage.
I made sure to get shade tolerant plants, since they would be under a covered porch. I always seem to ignore the suggestions on those little plant tags. 
You know what? Those people from the plant stores kind of know what they're talking about, so I chose to listen this time :-)
I love the varying heights of the plants.
I can't wait until they fill in a little more.
This was an inexpensive build, and I was only out the cost of spray paint and the plants.
I am so thankful for days when I can create what I imagined. It's so fun!
So, who's ready to make their own? I would love to see pictures if you decide to recreate this piece!!

0 comments: